Friends of Rivers, Peel in partnership with Peel-Harvey Catchment Council coordinates this month-long event. Now in its sixth year, the annual Clean Up Peel Waterways event has expanded to include parks, reserves and neighbourhoods and has been renamed Clean Up the Peel.
Register your group for the annual CLEAN UP THE PEEL event this March
We encourage all groups participating to hold their clean-up events between 1st & 31st March to tie in with Clean Up Australia Day. Groups taking part will be publicly acknowledged through various social media streams with a minimum full-page advertisement in a local paper which will spread the word about your clean-up and attract much-needed volunteers. If you would like Dudley Dolphin to feature at your event, or if you’d like some free Dudley Dolphin Adventure Journals to give to the kids, please let us know.
This year we want the event to be even bigger and better and involve more of our community so we can really make a difference to our local environment.
Steps you need to take to register for the Clean Up the Peel 2022:
- March will be here before you know it so please register your site with Clean Up Australia so that your free equipment arrives in time. Clean Up Australia also provides public liability insurance, so this step is very important and necessary for a successful clean-up event. Here is a useful checklist for organisers.
- Fill in this registration form (required) with your event details. This is used to promote your event locally by social media and print media.
If your clean-up is in the Shire of Murray you can redeem $100 through Alcoa and the Shire’s Community Assistance Partnership Fund to assist with event costings. For further information and eligibility requirements contact the Shire on 08 9531 7777.
Download the resources you’ll need on the day.
To join an existing Clean Up the Peel event this March please visit www.cleanupaustraliaday.org.au/join-a-clean-up
Thank you for doing your bit to clean up our beautiful waterways, beaches, parks, reserves and neighbourhoods.
Clean Up Australia requires that if event organisers need assistance with collection of rubbish after your event, they inform their local Council of the details of their clean-up and arrange an appropriate location for rubbish to be collected. Please get in touch with the appropriate officer for your local government area:
• City of Mandurah: Grant.Philippe@mandurah.wa.gov.au
• Shire of Murray: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conditions of Participation
• Wear suitable sun-smart clothing and suitable enclosed footwear.
• Bring along your gloves, sunscreen, insect repellent and water bottle.
• All events are held outdoors and are weather permitting.
• Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Our popular mascot can appear at your clean-up event, subject to availability. Please contact us if you’d like to borrow the costume. Here are the costume guidelines. We can also give you some free Dudley Dolphin Outdoor Adventure Activity Booklets to give to the kids. Let us know how many you need.
Please follow government advice around safe distancing, mask-wearing, hand sanitising, etc. Create a QR code for your event or use this one from Clean Up Australia.
If you’re concerned that we may be in lockdown or under restrictions in March, we accept that all planning is tentative. If you cannot use your free bags, gloves, first aid kit, etc. in March, you can either use them another time, or we can find them a good home.
These are the groups who participated in March 2021 and this is what they achieved:
- 138 full bags collected
- 1402.4kg of rubbish collected (estimated)
- 11.6 cubic metres of rubbish collected (estimated)
- 256 participants
- 78 new participants
Visit peel-harvey.org.au/tonnes-of-effort-to-clean-up-the-peel for the full picture.
Thank you to our sponsors and organisers: